Today, Ric and I went on a proper British summer day out. We got up early, packed our picnic in our cool-bag, and got the train to the seaside.
Now don't get me wrong, I have been to Southport before, I did not expect white sandy beaches, nor did I expect to see the sea, but still I managed to be slightly appalled at the state of the beach. After the considerable walk from the train station to the beach, we finally sat down and unpacked out chicken butties, sausage rolls and pork pies - just like I used to with my grandparents when I was younger. The food was nice in spite of the group of teenage boys that decided to play rugby right over our heads, the stale fishy smell that came off the sand, and the smoking, drinking, swearing pregnant Mum's parading up and down the sea front. It wasn't quite the way I remembered it as a child.
| Enjoying my picnic |
| The Gardens |
We did all the standard 'Day at the Beach' activities: fish and chips, arcades, souvenir shops - and had a very lovely day. Even Southport town centre is pleasant to walk around - its quaint and has a good range of shops.
| Proof that there is sea at Southport |
1 comment:
No, no , no!!! Don't ever go to SOUTHPORT beach. Go to Ainsdale, the other end of the town. It's so much nicer. I should know, I grew up there. Or go a bit further down the coast to Freshfield and Formby. You can even catch a train from Southport station.
Post a Comment