Friday, 6 July 2012

My First Nurey Bang

Nurey Bang is Korean karaoke. Only its not in a bar in front of lots of drunk strangers. You get your own private room, song list and hi-tech karaoke system.

I went expecting to hate it. I can't sing, I know I can't sing, and I take no pleasure in demonstrating this to other people. Much to my surprise, however - I loved it!

I went with Ric, Min our Korean friend, and Marissa - a Candian teacher here. The room was big and had couches, a table and a huge flat screen TV where the lyrics were displayed along with some really random images that had nothing to do with the songs or artists (ABBA S.O.S was accompanied by football highlights from the early 90's!) I was intimidated at first and I definitely didn't want to sing but it was dark and I realised the others weren't amazing singers either (although Ric thinks he is), they were just enjoying themselves.

I plucked up some courage and eased myself into it by doing a duet with Ric, singing a classic piece of quality English music... Yellow Submarine! The thing I don't like about karaoke is the way people take themselves so seriously - as if they're actually doing justice to the song they're butchering. So, not wanting to take myself too seriously, I chose to sing Stan, by Eminem. I thought the irony of a very non-ghetto English girl rapping along to Eminem was hilarious, especially the role reversal of Ric doing the girls parts where Dido comes in on the chorus. At first our fellow karaokers were encouraging, but they're smiles soon disappeared when they started to read the lyrics... I guess the language in the song isn't exactly acceptable in Korean culture, especially when used by a lady. The topic of the song [a guy killing himself and his pregnant girlfriend] didn't go down too well either. Guess I can add that to my list of faux pas.

Ric and Min choosing the next song

The happy Nurey Bangers
Nurey Bang is good fun though, and cheap - it cost us £5 for the private room for an hour, and that was split four ways. I might have to be a little more careful with my song choice next time though!

1 comment:

Conor Toman said...

Haha that's hilarious! They have them like that here in Japan too, but I haven't been yet. I want to though - cheers for the heads up on song choices lol