Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Saint-Valentin

Valentines Day in France, the most romantic country in the world. Not. Although I did spend a lovely day shopping with Melissa, who by the way knitted me an AMAZING scarf! I've never had a scarf knitted for me before and I LOVE it!!! Thank you Little Oddy!

Tuesday last week we had a farewell meal cooked for us and hosted by our wonderful German boys Markus, Christopher and Paul. It even had South American themed potatoes! We had champagne and ended the night dancing the Macarena. Perfect.

On Thursday the schools were on strike. Surprise surprise. Not like the French to strike is it? It was nice though because I was able to spend a nice day with the kids. We went for a walk along the cliffs at Six Fours, saw a castle, and played at the park. Then had McDonalds for lunch.

On Thursday evening me, Markus, Christopher and Pablo went for a nighttime hike up to Le Fort de Six Fort, a military look-out on top of a hill. The fort was built 1875 and is still in use today. It was dark, so our view was limited to enjoying the lights of the surrounding towns, Toulon, La Seyne and Sanary.

And at weekend Giulia came to visit to say a final farewell. Sob. I lost my motorbike virginity when Paul came and picked me up on his bike! And the 3 of us went on a bike ride (normal push bikes that is) into Sanary. Hilarious. My bike had no brakes and Paul's had no gears, and Giulia had to balance on the back on mine! Needless to say we ended up abandoning the bikes for the uphill journey home and walked back instead. Stopping off at Bard'O for a beer to quench our thirst.

Saturday night we went to Villa, the one big club around here. And I have never missed Manchester nightlife so much. Looking around at the sea of conservatively dressed Frenchies; the girls in long sleeved baggy black numbers and the guys in their tight white pants and unbuttoned shirts, I found myself cursing the DJ and his housey-techno music and his mumbling in French. I also almost had a heart attack after paying €10 for a vodka mixer. We didn't stay long.

Sunday we had kebabs for breakfast and went to Cassis for ice creams and coffee. Cassis is beautiful but there really isn't much else to do there in winter other than eat ice creams and drink coffee.

And now my final week in France is upon me....

No comments: