Thursday, 5 May 2011

White Water Rafting!

I went rafting down the river Chili today, absolutely loved it! Brilliant, excellent, fantastic experience. I went with two other volunteers from the house, and there was a Peruvian couple with us too. We got kitted out, wetsuits, river boots, helmets and very unattractive red track suits, we had out "training" on land then got onto the river. Its classed as a 3/4 river, 6 being the most extreme kind of rapids that you can raft on. It was so much fun, going over rocks and down mini waterfalls. I sat at the back with the guide, who kept grabbing onto me so I didn't fall in. Nice man. The water was cold and we got soaked. The scenery was beautiful too, we were in a valley with mountains on either side, and at the back, as always, there was the stunning snow capped volcanoes. I've decided everything looks prettier when there's a snow capped volcano in the background.

As well as todays little adventure I'm really enjoying living here, and living in the house with all the other volunteers. I missed out on the living in halls at uni so it's kinda new for me and I really like that there's always people around to hang out with and do stuff with. And we've been doing lots as a group too, for example on Tuesday we had our weekly volunteers meeting, and we all had a meal together then sat around chatting. Then yesterday we all went out to a restaurant in the plaza for tea. 22 of us! It was a gringo invasion! We had a nice meal then went out for drinks at Wild Rover, I think that place is going to become my local, it's a hostel that has a cool bar and drinks offers (cocktails 2 x 12soles - thats £2.50!) So I'm really getting on with everyone and its a really nice atmosphere. I think it's going to be a fun month!

No comments: