The Death Road is a road in La Paz that UNESCO declared the worlds deadliest road. When it was fully open to traffic over 200 people died there every year.
The road goes from La Paz into the jungle, descending 3000m along single lane dirt paths. It bends through the mountains round some unbelievably tight corners with a sheer drop to the side.
5 years ago they built a safer road so now there isn't so much traffic and its become a tourist attraction. Since it opened 33 tourists have died cycling down the road.
I chickened out the first time I was in La Paz, a girl died on it the week I was there and I wimped out. However... this time I did it - and I survived!!
It was really scary. Its a 70km downhill bike ride, the bikes slip and slide about a lot because the road is gravelly and there are lots of rocks to trip you over. I didn't even fall off though :)
It took about 4 hours to get from top to bottom, I spent the entire time squeezing my brakes, at the back of the group about 10 minutes behind them! It was lots of fun.
The best bit was afterwards, we went to a nice hotel and had a buffet lunch, drank a few beers in the sun and cooled off in the swimming pool.
Monday, 8 August 2011
Death Road!
Labels:
backpacking,
South America,
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment