Mont Faron is the big mountain in Toulon that I went to before Christmas, although we didnt go very far up because it went dark. However, on Thursday me and Markus made it to the summit! It took us about 1 3/4 hours to get to the top and I'm proud to say I climbed the 581m at a fairly brisk pace! The panoramic views from the summit were fantastic, even the weather was nice for us. Going up we took the 'off the beaten track' route through the forest, and worryingly someone had graffiti-ed a sign saying "Masacre Forest - turn back now", fortunately however we weren't masacred and it was a very pleasant hike. On the way down we took the 'off the beaten track' thing one step further and attempted to shimmy down the mountainside over the rocks and shrubbery. In hindsight this was probably rather dangerous as the rocks/shale were loose and I fell on my arse twice. We made it down in one piece and were exhausted afterwards, my buttocks are feeling more toned already!
At the summit :)
Beach day in January with Markus, Debbie & Paul (Saturday)
The weather was gorgeous this weekend, 18°C! So we made the most of it and went to the beach. We went to Le Mourillion, which is a nice part of Toulon with nice beaches and seafront bars & cafes. We sat and watched the sunset then went for a beer. I even paddled a little bit!
Sunset at le Mourillion
Giens with Markus & Debbie (Sunday)
Sunday was yet again a gorgeous day, and we went to a place called Giens. It's about 45minutes away, you head south from Hyeres and drive past all these salt 'lagunas' and on either side is the ocean. Then there's the village of Giens, which naturally was deserted as it was a Sunday (I'm determined to find where all the French go on a Sunday, it's like they all disappear!) We checked out the views and went for a stroll, and ended up at La Tour Fondue, literally 'The Melted Tour'. It's an old fort/military lookout and port overlooking Les Iles des Porquerolles. We sat next to the fort and watched yet another stunning sunset, and I provided much amusement to my friends and passers-by by getting stuck up a wall! I decided I wanted to climb the fortress walls, and did so with the help of a leg-up from Markus. It was an anticlimax to say the least and once I was up there I was too scared to get down! It was really high and I couldn't exactly get down the same way I'd gotten up; you can't get a leg-up-down!? I started shaking and decided I'd better get down before they had to send for the fire brigade, so I ended up jumping down, with Markus kindly catching me/breaking my fall! DOH!
Sunset at Giens
No comments:
Post a Comment