I have currently been on a bus for 9 hours. And have another 12 to look forward to... At least.
I've left my little friend Enzo and am on my way to Cuzco. I could have flown, but in the end I chose to go by bus for the following reasons: it's cheaper, it's one night I dont have to look for accomodation, dinner and breakfast are included in the price, and its an opportunidad to see the country.
And I must say, so far I'm not regretting my decision. For the first 6 hours we headed south along the coast, down the "Pan Americana", is a motorway which runs the entire length of South America, all the way down the west coast. It was lovely watch the sunset over the ocean on the right, whilst on the left we passed moutains and cattle farms and shanty towns.
We then headed inland to cross the Andes. It's pretty amazing. Total darkess apart from the light from the full moon which highlights the grey rock, it actually looks quite moon-like.
The bus is impressive too, by far the most comfortable means of transport I have ever been on. Great big leather seats which recline to about 160 degrees, and air conditioned, thank God. They had films on too, a Steven Seagal marathon, of all things! Then a couple of comedies followed by Nightmare on Elma Street. An odd selection to say the least! My friend for the journey is a man from Cuzco, and guess what, his name is Elvis!! I have a friend named Elvis! We chatted for ages, he told me all about Cuzco, Peru, Bolivia, and I told him about England and Europe and my previous adventures closer to home. Lovely man. He's written me a list of things to do and see in Cuzco, who needs guide books eh?!
So it's midnight and I dont much fancy my chances of getting to sleep to be honest with you, we're zig zagging around bends in the roads and its not exactly smooth going. Everybody else seems to be asleep though. Oh and more good news: the attendant explained at the beginning that the toilet was for number ones only, which is bad enough considering my stomach has been somewhat off the past few days! But then around 10 o'clock he came on the intercom, rather pissed off, and announced that due to some disobediant little so and so having a forbidden poo, the toilet will be closed until we arrive in Cuzco!!! And I'd been holding on because I didnt want to break the seal! Nightmare! If only I'd have bought myself a shewee!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment