Friday, 22 June 2012

My First Week Teaching

I survived my first week teaching! It's Friday and the week has flown by.

My first lesson was on Monday at 10am. I was really nervous - there's so much to remember; my kindergarten classes have 4 books to get through every morning, plus snack time and all the messing around they do. It went well though and so did all my other classes that morning. Every time I made it through a lesson without any massive blunders I got a a real buzz - by lunch time I had to go for a walk to get rid of all the adrenalin!

After that the rest of the week went smoothly and now I feel like I've worked there for ages. The kids are good, most of them are really motivated to learn and they are so bright; my kindergarten are amazing, they're 5 years old and yet I can talk to them as I would talk to a 10 year old English child and they understand everything. I can joke around with them and they joke with me too. It puts the English education system to shame but then again, I think the children in Korea are massively overworked. The older children go to normal school from 8am to 3pm then go to English school (that's my school) for 2-3 hours, then after that they will go to maths school, music school, art school and sports school - some of them don't actually stop studying until 10 o'clock at night.

I think I'm going to enjoy being an English teacher, its a lot more interesting than the job I had proof reading in England before I left, the children keep me on my toes. And it pays double - WINNING! :)

No comments: