How do you pack for a year? Seriously?
Most of my friends (Stacey Groom and Jennifer Edwards I mean you!!!) can't even pack for a weekend away without needing a removals van for their things, I can't imagine them having to pack for a year. I'm excellent at travelling light thanks to having to carry my life in a backpack for so long, but now, presented with a baggage allowance of 23kilos I'm a bit unsure what to do!
Through talking to our future colleagues and friends who are already in South Korea I made the following list of things that I NEED to pack:
- Clothes and shoes suitable for extremely hot summers and extremely cold winters
- Enough clothes and shoes to last me 12 months as Koreans are short petite people and I'm a 6ft giant, ie. I won't be able to find clothes or shoes to fit me over there!
- Nothing low cut (tough luck Korea)
- Deodorant (uncommon/crap/expensive in Korea)
- Toothpaste (I've heard its sugary, foul tasting and doesn't contain fluoride)
- Tampons (uncommon/crap/expensive in Korea)
- Suncream (contains bleach (?!) and is only available in factor 30+)
- Cheese (uncommon/crap/expensive in Korea)
- Chocolate (uncommon/crap/expensive in Korea)
- Slippers (no outdoor shoes inside)
- Bedding
So, with a years supply of the above, plus the stuff I actually need (tea bags) I managed to amass about 40kilos of luggage! I've thrown away 6 bin bags of clothes but it just keeps coming!
I'll probably get there and realise I've got enough toothpaste to brush my teeth constantly for a decade, but I've totally neglected to pack any underwear.
So... the finished products:
| My Life, 1 little back pack, 1 suitcase full of tampons and toothpaste |
| My sad lonely wardrobe |
No comments:
Post a Comment