Saturday, 15 September 2012

Out and About in Cheonan

Team Wonderland
This week...

On Tuesday we norebanged with Min, Sydney and our newest Wonderland recruit, Alex. I'm beginning to think that by the time I get back to the UK I'm going to be a regular karaoke addict. Korea has changed me.
4D zombies

We also introduced our friends to the wonders of 4D Ride. You know those simulator rides that move you about as if you were on a rollercoaster? They're very popular here; there are shops dedicated to them. They're "4D" because you get given 3D glasses and it occasionally blows air in your face. We chose 'Zombie New York', it was terrifying.


Frozen cow tail
On Thursday we got home to find that our gas had been cut off. It's the school's responsibility to pay our bills, we just give them the bills and they deduct the amount form our monthly pay packet. But apparently this isn't high on the president's priority list. Unable to cook (or shower, or most importantly DRINK TEA!) we headed out for dinner to a restaurant by our house that we have always said looked nice. It's a galbi restaurant where you cook you own meat on a grill in the middle of the table and the waiting staff do their best to fill your table with as many side dishes as possible, usually a dozen small dishes of decaying feet-flavoured kimchi. The meat was pretty diabolical: it came to the table frozen, it was fatty, and I think it may have been cow tail.

And today (Saturday) Jenny Burns came to visit from Suwon. Lovely to see her, mainly because she's excellent, but also because Jenny is ENGLISH and understands my sarcastic bitchy nature. I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here but the ex-pat community of Cheonan is a mix-match bunch. Most of the English teachers are American or Canadian, I haven't met a single English English teacher yet, so me and Ric are a minority. There are a couple of English engineers here, mainly old men who my Dad would get on with really well.

Anyway Jenny and I went to the Arario Gallery next to Shinsegea. Art galleries aren't usually my thing due to the huge scope for interpreting the meaning of "art"; one man's "art" is another man's "pretentious modern crap". Arario fell comfortably into that category; bare, minimalist rooms with creepy monochrome lighting and random items of "art". There was barely anything there either, which is odd considering it's such a striking building with such a prime location. I can cross it off my Cheonan to-do list now though.

 Arario

It was very blue.

This room was called "Scum"

Scum/Artt

The charming postcard I bought from the gallery.






No comments: