Sunday, 2 September 2012

Stand Up in Korea

Last night me and Ric went to a stand-up comedy night at Dolce - a 'western' bar near Cheonan station. We recently discovered Dolce and have decided we rather like it. Most of the other western bars we've been to in Cheonan are dark dingy places full of smoke and arrogant ass-holes, but Dolce was well lit, Louis the owner was very friendly - introducing himself and shaking our hands as we walked in, and what I liked most was that it was also Korean-friendly; I don't like the special treatment westerners get in some of these bars, it's weird and elitist. I want to drink where the local people drink, and if I can get a gin tonic there too then all the better!

Anyway, I had my reservations about the comedy night; I find stand up comedy doesn't really transcend international boarders because so much of the material is culture specific, but the American and Canadian performers were good (with the exception of one guy who's racism didn't quite manage to get a laugh) and the material was mostly English teacher/life in Korea stuff that most of the people could relate to. It was a really good night.

No comments: