Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Cardiff

So on Thursday 24th March I headed down to Cardiff for the 3rd anual FQB-Nantes Reunion. I went to see my favourite Welshies (+Tom, honorary fille) who I lived with all that time ago in Nantes (2008/2009). One of the best things about our get togethers is realising what good friends I have; when you haven't seen each other for over a year, and you can still get on and chat away as if you've never been apart. Cue warm happy feeling.

I arrived early afternoon on the Thursday and was met at the station by Anna. We had afternoon tea and scones in a quaint little tea shop is a pretty little village. The only slight mishap was somehow sealing my sunglasses into their case and not being able to get them out. I was flummoxed. Had to cut them out in an emergancy rescue operation. After tea we went out in Cardiff to a bar where it was quids night. Yes, drink for a quid!! God bless you Cardiff!! Now Cardiff nightlife is actually rather brilliant, it's like Manchester was about 3 years ago before I got too old and bitter to enjoy it! Highlights from the evening include harrassing a handsome yet ridiculously young bar man because he looked like Justin Beber, and watching a small fight break out because of a small man overcompensating for his lack of height. If men get small man syndrone I think I must have tall woman syndrone, because I'm a cocky little get most of the time. Excellent night.

On Friday me and Anna had a lazy morning drinking (yet more) tea. Imagine my confusion sat there in my pyjamas, watching Jeremy Kyle with a brew, when a strange let herself into the hous and launch into a full blown conversation with me... in Welsh!! I wasn't sure if it was the hangover affecting my judgement or whether she was actually speaking jibberish. I actually learnt some Welsh during my trip! Caru ti means 'I love you', and teesho paned means 'do you want a brew', so basically I the two most important phrases to survive down there. Anyway, once recover we went for a walk and an ice cream around Cardiff Bay and I met Anna's boyfriend (I approve). The weather was gorgous and it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

Friday evening we were joined by two other filles - Hannah and Elliw!! So it was a real reunion and we all had lots of catching up to do... over several bottles of wine, some sloe gin and a bottle of vodka!!! It was quite an eventful night actually. We ended up in a club called Oceana, which seems to be all over the south of England but I dont know of any up north. It's good, different rooms with different music. I wonder if it's a franchise... I may open one in Manchester! I met several randoms during the course of the night but two stick out in my mind:

The American/Korean Condom Tycoon who was about my age but had just inherited a latex company in Korea and gave me some free samples (much to my amusement the morning after upon finding them in my handbag!)

The rich 18 year old who, thanks to my charm and wit, bought me and ALL my friends a mojito. I don't like to brag or anything but I think going to the bar for my own drink and coming back with 7 mojitos and an enthusiastic 18 year old earns me a couple of cool points... no?

Anyway we danced and drank til they kicked us out at 3. THEN the night got even more random. We had acquired a following of boys from Portsmouth who were up for the football (England played Wales on the Saturday) and they followed us about looking for another watering hole. Unable to find one we hailed a taxi and were about to head home, however, thanks to the spontaneous decision of a crazy Welshy named Catrin, we ended up going to the Portsmouth boys' house. Only they weren't in the taxi with us. So we got there before them. And knocked on the door... Waking up their housemates... at 3.30am. Fun. Whatsmore, we couldn't remember the names of the boys we'd met, so we spent several minutes persuading these strangers that we had met their friends, who had invited us round!! They eventually let us in (due to aforementioned wit and charm) and we basically ransacked their house, drank their booze and played on their pool table. Eventually the guys we met came home, and we played strip poker. Although it wasn't really strip poker as there was only one guy taking his clothes off. I'm too good a poker player to go all in on a 5 and an 8 just for the want to be naked in a room of strangers.

Anyway, moral of the story is that we got home to Anna's house at 6.30 and I had to be up at 8 to catch my train!! I never normally sleep on the train but I did on Saturday morning! I ate a huge pasty and then dozed off. Kept waking myself up by snoring. Slightly embarrassing!

Next reunion is scheduled in for December. Love you guys!!!!

No comments: