Just got back from a week in Madrid. Going back for the first time in since I lived there in 2009 – was great! Felt like I’d never left. Saw my friends, where I used to live, where I used to drink… I’d like to go back to live there again one day. And even better than just seeing all my Spanish friends; Melissa my fake Mexican showed up, Christopher and Markus where there, and even Lauren came on a business trip. Nice. Got very drunk showing everyone the joys of free tapas (just HAD to order a pint of sangria everytime) and also had a rather disturbing experience of Spanish hash. I got high and went under because Javi was singing “English man in New York” by Sting. It freaked me out. And put me off smoking illegal substances for quite a long time. In hindsight its pretty funny but at the time it wasn’t, I was scared!! It was also quite a linguistic challenge for me, having spent 6 months in France my Spanish was extremely rusty, and at the start of the week I was speaking French to Christopher and Markus and Spanish to Javi and everyone else, and interpreting between the two. Lots of fun, at the end of the week I didn’t know what language I was speaking in! Found it reassuring though that I could still understand everything that was said to me in Spanish, and that I could just about talk more or less well in Spanish.
So now I’m home and I’ve only got three weeks to go before Peru!! How scary. I know its going to go really fast, and the fact that I’m actually away for 2 weeks out of the 3!! Oh… Almost everything is booked and sorted now though, I’ve got myself a couch in Lima, and I’ve booked my trek to Machu Picchu. It wasn’t the traditional trek that I wanted to do, that was booked up, but it’s a less known less travelled trek that sounds really good, passes through Inca villages and even includes a visit to natural hot springs! Yipee!
My fund raising is going well too, hoping to have about £400 when I go, which I’m donating to the orphanage!
So…. Next stop: Cardiff – Leamington Spa – Hertfordshire and then back to Madrid!
No comments:
Post a Comment