From Arequipa I had planned to go to Puno, Lake Titicaca, and cross over into Bolivia from there. However for the past month there have been strikes in Puno over closures and taxing on the local mineral mines. The situation escalated just around the time I was meant to be leaving to the point where nobody could get in or out of Puno, the ports and the boarder were closed due to road blocks, and protesters were attacking buildings and vehicles with rocks and fire. People Ive spoken to who were there said it was dangerous and terrifying.
Not surprisingly, when the time came for me to leave Arequipa I wasnt too keen to head on to Puno, even though they claimed to have postponed the strike until after the general election at weekend (5th June).
In the end I just didnt want to leave Arequipa- strike or no strike. I'd gotten attached to the place, the house, and most of all the people there. And I extended my stay an extra 3 nights (which delightfully I didnt have to pay for).
Today however (3th June), I finally made the push to move on. I got the 6 hour bus to Puno. It wasnt a luxuary bus like the previous two Ive been on, just your standard coach with no leg room and no air con. But then again the ticket did cost me about £3.50. I have to get over the boarder quickly before the strikers get going again, and Im now going to be late for my expected arrival in Samaipata. However my extra 3nights in Arequipa gained me a night out, lost me a camera, and offered me the opporunity to witness first hand Peruvian medical treatment for rabies. So Im going to say it was meant to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment