Thursday, 2 June 2011

My Last Day at the Orphanage

I finished my volunteer placement at the orphanage. I spent the whole month of May there and I cant believe how fast its gone. It was a really nice day, we took the kids to the park in the morning, then I had lunch with all the 'tias' and the kids put on a show for me; They sang and did typical peruvian dances and read poetry. I didnt expect to be sad saying goodbye but I was; I'll miss the kids, I really bonded with a few of them, one even started calling me mama, which is heart breaking as well as touching. All in all its been a great and inspiring experience, hard work, and eye opening. Ive learnt a lot and met some wonderful people. The women that run the place are incredible, it's lovely to see how theyve helped the children who, in spite of having such a difficult start in life, are all polite, loving and well rounded kids.

No comments: