Oh jeez what a weekend. Lets start with Thurday. In the morning I picked Sophia up and showed her Le Beausset, and we had a very nice civilised lunch together and ate copious amounts of ice cream. The afternoon was a shambles, I lost a child!! He got on the school bus when I was suppose to be picking him up so I was a very stressed out lady for a short time.
Friday I got a day off because I had to work Saturday and Sunday, so I went to a place called Saint Cyr Sur Mer after language school with Debbie (Danish). Its a nice place, big beach, port, little village. Had a paddle and an ice cream. (Thinking Im spending too much time eating ice cream...)
Friday night was Judit's last night out! We met in Carrefour car park at 10pm and there was loads of lame French kids there reinacting The Fast and the Furious with with their pimped out Twingos and Fiat Pandas. It was lame. I gave Melissa her first lesson driving a manual car (she's American, that explains everything) - that was fun, and then we went to La Plage in Toulon. I drove, as per, didn't drink, danced a lot, was generally a good night although at the end I was well ratty and I got pissed off because everyone was taking their time and I was tired and sober and I had an hours drive ahead of me, to make matters worse we were getting hassled by a load of pathetic middle aged men trying desperately to pull right at the end of the night. One conversation went as follows:
French arsehole: Ver are you from?
Me: England
French arsehole: Ah London [because London is the only place in England?!]
Me: No not London, Manchester
French arsehole: I know very well zee England [evidently] because I lived in Norwich [?!]
Me: Why the hell would anyone want to live in Norwich
French arsehole: comment??
Me: Where are you from then?
French arsehole: I am from France [oh you dont say I'd never had guessed given we're IN FRANCE]
Me: Obviously
French arsehole: Can do you a Scottish accent for me? I just love zee Scottish accent...
Me: Errrrm.... no, now will you please piss off?
That was just one of many pointless irritating conversations that took place outside the club at 3 in the morning. I HATE FRENCH MEN!!!
Saturday I didnt go horse riding because I was tired, although I didnt manage to get a lie in, and I had to go and drop of Quentin's phone because the dozy git had left it in my car. Grr. Had lunch with the family (burgers done on the BBQ) and then we went to Sophie's parents house in a place called Tourrettes. What a strange name for a town, is the disability named after it I wonder... The point of the weekend was that there was a family get together in honour of some cousins that had come over from Canada, and I was there to keep this kids entertained while the grown ups had aperos and did grown up stuff. I had not only my 3 bambinos, but 2 of their cousins too. Great fun. It was about a 2 and a half hour drive away, right in the middle of the mountains. The entire weekend evolved around food, which naturally I loved! I met the family (they're all midgets) and had to play outside with the kids all afternoon. In the evening we had apéritifs - very french! Wine, champagne, olives, dried fruit, cheese related things and crisps (essentially what I would refer to as swanky nibbles). Then all the adults went out to a restaurant and I was left to feed and put the 5 children to bed. To make things even more exciting the parents were all staying at a hotel whilst I was sleeping in the attic with 5 children aged 4 - 13!! Ooh la la! It went surprising well though, had pancakes for tea then got them all too bed. I was thinking oh wow this is far too easy, I got myself to bed at the same time as the kids too because I was shattered, but I'd spoke too soon. I was in the attic, all the kids in one room, me slightly separated but next door, and I could here chatter. I left it but it didn't stop... turns out the little one (Merlin) was hyper and wouldn't shut up and the others wanted to sleep. I gave him a warning and went back to bed. But he carried on, and I ended up putting him in bed with me so the others could sleep. I got no sleep, all I got all night was "I'm scared... I've lost teddy... Can we have the light on..." and when he did sleep he snored because he's got a cold and his nose is blocked. I deserve a medal.
Today was also a wonderfully food orientated day, I got the kids up, fed them, got them ready - yes me and FIVE children! Breakfast was a feast of nutella. Then I played with them all morning in the field next to the house, and then there were more apéros and a fantastic buffet lunch and AMAZING deserts. I know all I write about is food, so for those of you not interested look away now...
Some of the day's culinary highlights: little spoons with creamy goats cheese, fig jam and crumbled up crackers; Provençal tomatoes (which are roasted with herbs and stuff); some meat type sausage that was mixed with stuffing; chocolate brownies (in the shape of hearts and teddy bears); lemon tarts (hand made by aunty Caroline); mixed fruits of the forest and cream.
On the way home Charlottle made me a bracelet similar to the one she and Barnabe wear, and she told me to made a wish as she fastened it, and that I'm never to take it off. How sweet is that? I think we've bonded lately because her Mum's been away a lot and we've been spending some time together just the two of us, she's ace.
When we got home the Grandad came round with his sister and her husband, so there was yet more family for me to meet and do the whole bisous bisous thing - its tiring man! They're really cool though I laughed a lot this evening! They're staying the week because Vincent and Sophia are both working away all week (and they were kind enough to not leave me totally alone with the children). AND WE HAD CHICKEN FOR TEA!! Literally have not had chicken for tea since I arrived here. Haven't eaten it at all in fact and tonight was like Christmas for me. Im looking forward to this week, aunty and uncle are cool and highly amusing, and theyre going to want to spend lots of time with the kids - so chill time for me.
Even more excitingly: I HAVE A WEEK OFF NEXT WEEK!!!!! Its the school hols and I was dreading being stuck with the kids alone all week but they're going on holiday! So I'm free from the 22nd to the 30th - COME VISIT ME PEOPLE!! I'm planning a humongous road trip around the South, might pop into Italy for a bit too. Because I can.
And finally...
Country Life update: Well the sheep are gone which I'm quite sad about. I liked looking at the sheep. And I dont know why but there are loads of fires everywhere at the moment - like everyday. Maybe its some sort of agricultural burning ritual, maybe its foot and mouth...?? Either way its quite annoying because everywhere its covered in smoke, it's like living in a cloud. Check this for rural life - every Friday I go and collect vegetables from a local farm, how fresh! It's nice living here, in Swinton the only farms in a 100 mile radius are ones cultivating marijuana!
Bed time now, I am exhausted!
No comments:
Post a Comment