Today Daisy (Dutch) and I went to:
Bormes les Mimosas: A beautiful flowery mountain village with lovely views of the ocean. We had a picnic there for lunch.
Saint Tropez: The famous luxurious town of the rich and famous which was in fact a massive disappointment. There were a lot of road works, it wasn't that interesting, the port wasn't as nice as Nice, the old town wasn't as nice as some others I've been to. We had a good walk round and did some window shopping (its soooo expensive) I found a gorgeous vintage skirt that I'm currently regretting not buying... but an au pairs wage does not stretch to €50 for a skirt, plus it was a size too big for me.
Ramatuelle: Another flowery mountain village with really narrow streets, like a labyrinth, really liked it.
Le Lavandou: Seaside town, reminded me a lot of Santa Pola in Spain. We had a coffee on the sea front and a walk up and down the beach. Its touristy, good atmosphere there though, liked it.
Had a really nice day exploring, although the weather was grey all day and then around 6.30 the heavens burst and a full blown thunder storm broke out. It's definitely a night for staying home and being cosy.
Daisy said something profound today that I think sums up the experience of being an au pair - she said we are treated like a luxury accessory that the family bought off the internet. It's very true. We're employees, not members of the family. We're here to help, to work, not to form relationships/friendships, we're not here for small talk. We should be seen and not heard.
Luckily, I have friends here to keep me sane, and little outings like today make it worth the while, if not I think France would be a lonely place.
No comments:
Post a Comment